Other Nursing Disciplines
- Carries out assigned duties involving direct patient care in support of the Registered Nurse under the direction of the Nurse in Charge to include:
- Personal Hygiene
- Maintenance of oral hydration and nutrition
- Health and safety
- Promoting equality
- Reducing the effects of abuse
- Receiving and transferring information
- Movement and handling of individuals and pressure area care
- Promoting emotional and psychological well being
- Maximizing comfort
- Promoting independence
- Undertaking palliative and terminal care
- Ensures that the assigned duties are completed according to the standards set by the Sister/Charge Nurse.
- Provides feedback to the Nurse in Charge on completion of the assigned duties, reporting changes.
- Works under direct supervision for all of a shift.
- Demonstrates an approachable and helpful style of care, which emphasises a quality of customer service.
- To prepare clinical environments including setting up of trolleys and equipment.
- To prepare patients for examination as required, including explanation of dressing/undressing requirements and assisting if needed.
- To chaperone patients when required.
- To escort patients to other departments and hospitals.
- To assist in the care of relatives/carers of the patient.
- To support the Multi-disciplinary team in the event of an emergency situation within assessed competence.
- To undertake additional skills [depending on department requirements] after completion of the NVQ additional skills competency booklet to include:
- Peripheral cannula removal
- Vital signs monitoring – blood pressure, pulse, respirations, temperature, oxygen saturation, hourly urine measurements.
- Blood sugar monitoring.